Bulgur wheat is low in fat, high in minerals and a great source of plant-based protein. Teamed with feta, herbs and pomegranate seeds makes this dish a winning combo!
- 200g bulgur wheat
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 generous tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 generous tablespoon chopped parsley
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pomegranate, cut in half and seeds removed
- 100g feta-style cheese, broken into 1-2cm chunks
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- First, cover the bulgur wheat in boiling water and allow to soak for 10-15 minutes until just tender. Drain well.
- Mix the lemon juice and zest, the chopped mint and parsley, and the extra virgin olive oil. Stir through the bulgur wheat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Scatter with the pomengranate seeds and any juice, the feta and toasted pumpkin seeds. *See tip.
Tip: To toast the pumpkin seeds, simply toss them in a dry frying pan over a high heat for a couple of minutes until a couple of shades darker. To add some extra flavour pour in a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce once they’ve toasted, then cook till the soy has evaporated and the flavour soaked into the seeds.
Recipe: Bulgur wheat salad with feta pomegranate and pumpkin seeds
Serves: 4-6 (6)